Shopping Cart View Shopping Cart
0 Items: $0.00
Subscribe to our Mailing List


History of the Riley County Historical Society

The Riley County Historical Society (RCHS) was founded in 1914, and is a 501 c 3 non-profit organization incorporated in the State of Kansas. In 1915 the Society built the Pioneer Log Cabin in Manhattan City Park and opened its first Museum there in 1916. In 1957 the Museum was moved to the basement of Manhattan City Hall, where it remained until 1977 when a new Museum was built at 2309 Claflin Road in Manhattan as a bicentennial project. The Museum became a Department of Riley County in 1977, but the collection and properties: Pioneer Log Cabin, Wolf House Historic Site (the Wolf House, Mansfield House, Moses House and Wolf Studio), Randolph Jail, Hartford House, and Rocky Ford School remain part of the Riley County Historical Society. The RCHS works with Riley County in support of the Riley County Historical Museum, and the Museum staff administer s the RCHS collection and properties.

In 1996, the Riley County Historical Society and Riley County (through the Riley County Historical Museum) entered a partnership with the Kansas State Historical Society for the operation and support of the Goodnow House State Historic Site. This partnership continues to the present.

The first Museum Director was Winifred Slagg, who served from 1957 to 1971. Jean C. Dallas was Director 1971-1987 and Cheryl Collins has been Director 1988 to the present.

Past Directors, Officers, and Curators

Copyright © 2011-2017 Riley County Historical Society.
2309 Claflin Rd., Manhattan, KS • Phone: (785) 565-6490 • Fax: (785) 565-6491 • RCHSinfo@rileychs.com
Website Design & Hosted by Outdoor Resources, LLC